Holiday season hacks
It’s a busy time at the end of the year! But that doesn’t mean we can’t think sustainably and smartly amidst all the holiday madness. Here at Keep NSW Beautiful, we’ve come up with a list of holiday season hacks – tips and tricks to get you through to the New Year with a green twist.
- Don’t buy tinsel! Decorate your home with greenery from your garden instead. It’ll look good, feel great, and won’t end up in a landfill for thousands of years. Here’s a simple, sweet way to approach this.
- Send e-cards rather than sending your messages on card stock. Here’s a fun interactive card site.
- Think about the whole shape of your holiday get-togethers, from transport to drinks and more. Otter has a great guide for hosting waste-free parties.
- Getting a fresh, real Christmas tree? Make it a “live tree” – one with roots, that you can plant once the day is done. Or hire one from Eco-Christmas Trees!
- Pick up some presents from Green Gifts Australia
- Posting presents? Sendle will make their delivery carbon-neutral
- Drape your tree with natural popcorn, and then unthread and place it in the garden for birds (make sure the popcorn is unsalted and not flavoured!) Maybe add cranberries too!
- Make sure that if you celebrate outside, you take all your litter and belongings with you when you go! Take the Pledge not to litter this holiday season.