Why is it so important for me to recycle?
“Oh it’s okay, someone else will do it…”
In the fight for our environmental future, collectivism is vital. Your personal recycling contribution may seem small, but in reality, when coupled with millions of other peoples, it’s a huge step in the right direction.
Did you know:
- Americans throw away 25,000,000 plastic bottles every hour
- The un-recycled energy in the average rubbish bin each year could power a television for 5,000 hours
- We generate 21.5 million tonnes of food waste each year – if we composted that, it would reduce greenhouse gas emissions as much as taking 2 million cars off the road.
- If you replace just one out of four of your light bulbs with fluorescent ones, you could save about 50% on your lighting bill
- If all our newspapers were recycled, we could save about 250,000,000 trees every year
Here’s a handy chart from the APC on why recycling is so important:
Recycling is easy, and every little effort counts. Make small changes, encourage friends and family, and you will be contributing to the worldwide effort to save our environment for generations to come.